Yazoo Mills Recycles!
Recycling is one of the most important keys to solving the world's solid waste problems. Because landfills are filling up and disposal costs have risen sharply, alternative waste elimination programs have become necessary for industry throughout the world.
Yazoo realizes its responsibility to the environment and recycles all trim and waste generated during the manufacturing process. Core processing at our plant includes shredding, baling, and shipping to a consuming recycled paper mill.
North America recycles approximately 4.5 million tons of recovered fiber recycled into 100% recycled paperboard. The Environmental Defense Fund provides the following information based on the conversion of virgin paperboard to 100% recycled paperboard:
- For every ton of virgin paperboard that is converted to recycled paperboard one ton of recovered fiber is kept out of municipal landfills.
- 14 trees are saved for every converted ton, allowing sequestration of carbon dioxide (CO2) in North America. Sequestration is the accumulation and storage of carbon in growing trees.
- By converting 250 tons of virgin paperboard to 100% recycled fiber paperboard enough energy is saved to heat someone’s home for an entire year.
- By converting 250 tons of virgin paperboard to 250 tons of 100% recycled fiber paperboard, the amount of air pollution avoided is equivalent to removing six 18-wheeler trucks or 54 cars from the road each year.
- By converting 250 tons of virgin paperboard to 250 tons of 100% recycled fiber paperboard, the waste water that is not produced each year is the equivalent to the amount of water in 7 seven Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- There is no other packaging product that is more environmentally sustainable than 100% recycled fiber paperboard. The important fact is that 100% recycled fiber paperboard truly is 100% recycled, with no virgin fiber content.